Hello my name is Allstar, HR professional and business student. One of my passions is the study of human dynamics and relationships in the workplace. In this series “Live for your health! not your ego” we will delve into what it means to live for your…
“If it is not easy, if it is not effortless, then you are not doing it right!” – Harry W. Carpenter.
Warning this post may sound out of this world or you may think I have lost my mind but if the method works for you does it matter where the idea comes from? I don’t think so.
So what is this weird trick or idea? Well the title is kind of a giveaway. As you know that just like the readers of this blog I am fascinated with the power of our mind. I read whatever I can find about mind and its contribution in shaping our life and I found a common theme which most of the experts in this field talk about. They always mention ideas about turning thoughts into desires or things.
Many have been successful to achieve desired results by following visualization strategies that help thoughts shape our reality. Changing our old habits with thoughts can be bit challenging and time taking and I believe Acting can be an interesting way to help our subconscious mind absorb the idea.
Everyone knows how to act. We give great performances throughout our life. You don’t believe me then just remember all the childhood days where you acted to get out of trouble when you did some mischief or when you laugh your head off at a poor joke told by your boss or the smile you give when your in-laws visit. See everyone is a great actor. Peace in our life depends on acting so let’s use this skill for good.
I am currently reading a very interesting book “The Genie Within Your Subconscious Mind – How It Works and How To Use It” by Harry W. Carpenter. It is a fascinating book on the power of our mind over our life. Mr. Carpenter gives a small exercise to act out as we have already achieved our goal. The subconscious mind will understand and take note of our exact desire if we repeatedly fed it by acting out our reaction to the end result.
Does this seem childish or to simple to be true? As I said earlier if it works why not give it a try. Let us take an example of someone trying to lose weight. If that person constantly feeds his mind with negative thoughts and talks like I am too fat, I will never lose this extra weight or I don’t want to be so fat; his/her subconscious mind will pick up on the word fat and keep that person fat as long as he keeps updating his mind with this information.
It is exactly like a genie ready for a command from master and whatever the master highlights on he gets. So let’s turn this in our favor by concentrating on what we want. Don’t say vague goals like I want to get thinner. Write down exactly what you want like “I want to weigh ___(your ideal weight) or less”, or “I want my dress size to be __(your ideal dress size)”.
Act Example 1: Take your weighing scale, cover its reading area with a piece of paper and write your ideal weight on it. Now every morning step on it, look at the perfect weight and act out the joy you will feel when you would actually reach that weight. Act out the celebration and feel grateful for the achievement.
Act Example 2: You can visualize that you are in your favorite store and you picked up a beautiful dress in your ideal dress size. You tried it on and it fit perfectly. Stand in front of a full length mirror and act as if you are in the store and are admiring the beautiful dress for you in your ideal dress size. Act out a conversation with a store salesperson or a friend about how wonderful that dress looks on you.
Make the desired goal weight number or dress size number your magic number and constantly remind yourself that you weigh the perfect healthy weight. Write the number everywhere you can see and fed your subconscious with what you want.
Believe me the power of mind does work wonders. Once it takes note of your desire it will change its old programming and make changes in the body as per your new commands.
It is just like placing anniversary gift idea hints for your husband. I know many ladies will understand what I am trying to say here. Reprogramming our stubborn subconscious mind is time taking. It will need creativity, commitment and faith but once you get your subconscious mind on your side losing weight or achieving any other goal can be done on auto pilot.
Give it a try and if you do succeed using this or similar technique please share with us. To get more such ideas I recommend you to read “The Genie Within Your Subconscious Mind – How It Works and How To Use It” by Harry W. Carpenter.
In “7 Mind Traps That Steal Our Happiness – Trap 1. What Other People Think About Me?” the first part of this series we discussed about giving people control over our mind and the unnecessary burden of their opinion in this part of the series lets discuss how worry steal a big part of our happiness.
Let’s just imagine the creator gave us all our life time of happiness in some kind of container. The happiness in that container is all we got and if we lose any of it is our loss. How do you think we will handle this container? We will guard it with our life, won’t we? The fine print that comes with this divine happiness container reads that whenever we worry a small hole gets drilled at the bottom of the container and happiness starts to leak out. Will this change our habit of worrying about everything under the sun? I bet it will. Here’s a secret we do leak away happiness when we worry so let’s not fall for this mind trap.
I am not a big fan of horror movies. I used to watch scary stuff when I was a child but lost interest in recent past. This has a lot to do with my over active and creative imagination. I don’t know how but my mind makes sure to remind me of the scariest scene of some random horror movie at the worst possible moment. Like when I am home alone and for some strange reason the power goes out and my phone’s battery is about to die. Please don’t laugh it really scares me when my mind reminds me of those bloody deadly faces and howling noises.
The reason for disclosing this embarrassing secret is because I feel worrying is like watching a horror movie in our mind and we are the writer and director of that movie. When we worry we think about something bad happening to us or our loved ones. We imagine the situation taking turn to the worst and keep replying it in our mind.
“If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.” — Dr. Seuss
By worrying we torture our mind. Worrying drains our energy. If something bad does happen we cannot face the situation with our full potential as we lose our energy and thinking ability by worrying.
But isn’t worrying completely natural? Of course it is. Human beings are emotional creatures. We cannot help when it comes to worrying about people we love. But let me ask you this one question; “Would you prefer to be strong or weak when disaster strikes?”
The time we spend on worrying will make all the difference. Everyone goes through an emotional roller coaster ride when we sense a dangerous situation. Rather than worrying till you go breathless it makes sense to calm your mind down. Stop all the negative talks, thoughts, and mental images and focus on the positive aspect of the situation. Here I am talking about the situation before we face a challenge or a difficult incident. I am talking about jumping to the worst possible conclusion.
“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.” — Dalai Lama XIV.
Stopping a train of thoughts is not easy but is definitely not impossible. With help of meditation and creative visualization we can learn to channelize our thoughts from negative to positive. This needs time and patience. Daily practice will eventually make it possible for us to stop negative thoughts from draining our energy.
“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, but only saps today of its strength.” — A.J. Cronin
A situation can either go bad or not that means there is only 50% chance that things will go wrong. So half the time we worry we lose a big part of our happiness for absolutely nothing. We create an imaginary hell in our mind and scare ourselves for absolutely nothing.
If like me you are a believer of Law of Attraction then you would agree that worrying should be completely avoided. As per Law of Attraction your thoughts become your reality hence one should stay away from all negative thoughts and images.
A calmer mind can think straight so when a situation does take turn to the worst we can act like the surviving hero of the horror movie and save us and our loved ones.
This post is inspired by a question asked by one of the readers. The question is very deep and I am not sure if my article will provide a satisfactory answer but I take my work very seriously and answering every question with all I got is an important part of my job.
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. – Buddha”
The following question was asked by Raj in the comment section of post: Law of The Karmic Account – Dealing With A Difficult Relationship
Everyone has to fight his/her own battles but when the pain gets unbearable we start looking out for answers. We spend a lot of time and money on physical solutions. Initially we seek help from modern medicines if we do not find relief we go towards alternative medicines. We talk about our pain with everyone we know and try to find out a healer who can finally put our problem to rest.
We are wired in the modern day and age. We believe popping pills, taking injections or in extreme cases going under the surgeon’s knife can cure us but what to do when all these things we have so much faith in fail us. Some people get depressed and some get so frustrated with the situation that they become bitter with the world around.
Some wise ones like my friend Raj here understands the importance of psychological and spiritual answers and so he mentioned that he read self help books not only for himself but also for his family. A person like this deserves all the help we can find. I hope my below mentioned points give you some relief and I request all the readers to share their own methods to overcome situations when one feels self help stuff does not help.
7 Things To Do When One Feels Positive Thinking Does Not Work:
1. Meditation: Start your day with meditation. First thing in the morning as soon as you get up sit in a quiet place close your eyes, clear your mind, breathe normally, and then slowly take deeper and longer breaths. Monitoring your breath is the easiest form of meditation. You can set a timer for 20 minutes or 30 minutes so that you don’t get distracted by checking time or the feeling of getting lost in the meditation. It will be easier to clear the mind right after sleep as it is refreshed but still if you feel any thoughts trying to seek in don’t struggle with it let it gently pass by and carry on with the meditation.
You will feel refreshed and recharged; you mind will become powerful everyday with meditation and that is a very good thing because our mind plays the biggest role in our healing. There are many methods of mediation, you can study some on the net, some audio tapes comes with guided meditations or through books. Give most of them a try and stick with the one you find most relaxing and refreshing.
You can also learn meditation from spiritual teachers like Brahma Kumaries, Buddhist Monks, teachers and many more just be sure you are following a genuine teacher and not some imposter.
2. Energy Flow: Any kind of pain or suffering is caused because of negative energy blockage. Well this may seem farfetched but just think about it. Everything in this universe including us is made of energy and there is a constant flow of energy in everything. As per ancient Chinese wisdom this energy is called as “Chi” and if you have a smooth flow of positive energy (the good Chi) through your body you have a completely healthy body. If there is any blockage then this turns into pain. That’s why Acupuncture works great for pain. If you have not given this a try I suggest you find a good Acupuncture Therapist who can find the right solution.
Similar principle is applied in Feng Shui. The house we live in is considered as an extension to our physical body, that’s why Ancient Eastern Cultures followed sciences like Vastu Shastra and Feng Shui. You can either get an expert to check your house for the positive energy flow or self study Feng Shui by reading books to remove the blockage of energy in your house. People find miraculous results by doing small changes so do give this a try.
3. Negativity Filters: If you are not in the situation or position you want to be then there is some kind of negativity around you. Even if your thoughts are positive you can still get affected by negativity form another person close to you. Is there a complainer in your family? Is someone always talking and behaving in upsetting manner? Does someone gossip a lot about other people’s misfortune? Any such thing can bring down your positive energy and fill your mind with negativity that you do not need.
Stay away from negative people, who always complain, fight, cry, or gossip; who has nothing good to talk about. If you cannot stay away try to change topics around this person or make that person aware of his/her negative mental condition in the most loving way. Do not blame or fight with this person as this will not make you any different. If you cannot do that then just send positive energy to this person in your mind and try not to get affected by this person’s talk or behavior.
The reason to meditate in the morning is also very beneficial as we become stronger to handle such negativity and also never read or watch news in the morning as it will fill your day with negativity.
4. Acceptance: We do not like to accept our suffering. The first rule to change is to accept your condition as it is. Do not feel good or bad about it. Just accept that I have this problem and then let it go. Remove it from your mind and think about you as a person who is happy and healthy in all aspects of life. By accepting you acknowledge the problem and by letting go you give a command to your subconscious mind that it does not have to hold onto this particular problem. It gives a clear command that we are ready to move ahead of this hurdle.
5. Positive Attitude: Positive attitude is not just thinking that everything is great around us. Positive attitude is accepting all our hurdles and believing that as per the Divine Plan there must be a reason I have this hurdle in my life. This condition is in my life for a reason to give me a life’s lesson that I desperately need to learn and this is an opportunity in disguise. Once we overcome the hurdle we become stronger and wiser than before.
6. Gratitude: It is difficult to feel thankful when we are in pain but there can be so many things that we can be grateful for no matter what situation. We can be grateful for our body to stand strong through all the suffering and pain it has to go through daily. We can be thankful for the people who love us and want to help us in our difficult times. We want to be grateful for every new day when we get up as each day is a gift to us from the creator. Be grateful for what you love having and take away all your focus from what you don’t.
7. Visualization: Visualize yourself as healthy and happy. While meditating or any other time instead of focusing on the problem we should visualize a happy and fulfilled life as this creates a blueprint for our subconscious mind. When we think, dream, talk and visualize about health we get healthy. I highly recommend reading books from Shakti Gawain or Wayne Dyer to study this concept in detail.
“The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind” — Caroline Myss
Few posts from this blog that can put some more light on the subject are listed below.
– Appreciation – 5 easy methods to tame your mind.
Today The Vibrant Writer turned one and I am so happy. My first year as a blogger was an amazing experience. We did experience some hiccups and we learned from every one of them. If I want to sum up my life in one word after launching the vibrant writer (dot) com; it had to be Grateful.
Why grateful because I am humbled with the enriching journey of blogging and excited to keep on this path that promises abundance of opportunity. I have tried to mention few points to express my gratitude (the whole list is much longer). I have also included some of my favorite quotes about being grateful as this blog and its readers love inspiring quotes.
• I am grateful for being a part of the amazing blogging community where countless bloggers freely write about their passions and desires.
• I am grateful for the love and support from all the wonderful readers of The Vibrant Writer .Com
• I am grateful for all the awesome clients that came to me with business proposals of all shapes and sizes because they liked what they read on The Vibrant Writer .Com
• I am grateful for the feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction I receive after posting each post on The Vibrant Writer .Com
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough” ― Oprah Winfrey
• I am grateful for the positive and inspiring journey I took along with all the readers and fellow bloggers that has made me a better person.
• I am grateful for being recognized among wonderful groups of writers as well as self help groups because of The Vibrant Writer .Com
• I am grateful for The Vibrant Writer .Com as it has given me the opportunity to grow as a writer.
• I am grateful for all the inspiring, thought provocative and informative comments I receive on each and every post of The Vibrant Writer .Com
When you are grateful – when you can see what you have – you unlock blessings to flow in your life. – Suze Orman
• I am grateful for the platforms like WordPress that has helped me launched my writing career with The Vibrant Writer .Com
• I am grateful for blogging communities and social networking sites like IndiBlogger, Alltop, Blog Catalog, Writeup Café, Stumble upon, Digg, Delicious, Facebook Groups so much more and growing hard to write them all in one go
• I am grateful for my amazing family for encouraging and motivating me to keep up blogging and writing even when they were my only readers and to bear with me and my obsession of writing.
“When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” — Maya Angelou
Eleven is kind of a lucky number for me so I stopped the list at 11. The exercise of writing down things I am grateful for about my blog helped me remember how important writing is for me. It made me feel blessed and filled my hearth with the happiness that is hard to find in today’s harsh world.
I encourage you to make your own list about things you are grateful for about any part of your life. The length depends upon you. This list will uplift your spirits and make you feel so happy and content that your whole life will lean towards positivity and fulfillment.
Yesterday I got the privilege to watch an interview of Marianne Williamson – a bestselling author.
She mentioned a small prayer just three lines in the interview and it captured my attention.
• Where would you have me go?
• What would you have me do?
• What would you have me say and to whom?
I find this prayer a perfect way to communicate with the creator you can call him God or Universe or the Holy Spirit or anything you believe in. I immediately noted it and now it is the prayer I love saying morning and night. This prayer also got me thinking of the mistakes most of us do while praying.
Mistakes while praying:
1. Not Appreciating: This is the worst mistake one does while praying. We receive many blessing in our life but we take it as our birth right without ever saying a word of appreciation. We just keep asking for more. How would you react to a child who constantly asks for more and more toys or sweets and never show any appreciation about it? I always hear parents forcing their kids to say thank you to friends and family for any gifts. But do we say thank you enough; I don’t think so. Just add a genuine appreciation for anything you are grateful for to your prayer. It doesn’t even have to be a recent blessing. Be Grateful as Gratitude is the key to happiness.
2. No Faith: I heard this in one of the seminars by Jack Canfield where he mentions about how we lack faith. “When we place an order to Domino’s Pizza we do not call them after every 5 to 10 minutes to check if they will surely do the delivery. Then why cannot we show some faith in our creator.” It must get annoying for the almighty to hear the same thing again and again. Plus our doubts always act as hurdles for our blessings that are trying to reach us.
3. Begging: This may sound harsh but if you hear what we say to God in our prayers it sounds as if we are begging. “Dear God Please do this, please give me that, blah blah blah”. We forget that God is our creator who wants to see us thrive but nothing is going to be served to us on a silver platter. God helps those who help themselves but we have to initiate. Instead offer our service to fulfill the divine order. Everything is a part of the divine order by fulfilling our role we achieve everything we are meant to achieve in the easiest and fastest way. This is preciously what is mentioned in the prayer above. Ask the creator how we can fulfill our role and God will guide us to reach our highest level. If we want to see the creator we can look at nature. It is all about abundance, no lack, no limitation. A seed knows it’s role and it develop into a huge tree similarly there is abundance in all aspects for us if we let creator take charge and guide us to fulfill our destiny or role in this divine order. We are meant to be abundant, happy, and peaceful. The lack is what we create by our own limiting believes mainly about scarcity, adjustment and sacrifices.
- “Whatever happened, happened for the good; whatever is happening, is happening for the good; whatever will happen, will also happen for the good only. You need not have any regrets for the past. You need not worry for the future. The present is happening.” – The Bhagavad Gita
Marianne Williamson books <a href=”(Get Here) are a must read if you want to understand the importance of Love and Spirituality (which means the same for me) in our life.