This post is inspired by a question asked by one of the readers. The question is very deep and I am not sure if my article will provide a satisfactory answer but I take my work very seriously and answering every question with all I got is an important part of my job.
“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly. – Buddha”
The following question was asked by Raj in the comment section of post: Law of The Karmic Account – Dealing With A Difficult Relationship
Everyone has to fight his/her own battles but when the pain gets unbearable we start looking out for answers. We spend a lot of time and money on physical solutions. Initially we seek help from modern medicines if we do not find relief we go towards alternative medicines. We talk about our pain with everyone we know and try to find out a healer who can finally put our problem to rest.
We are wired in the modern day and age. We believe popping pills, taking injections or in extreme cases going under the surgeon’s knife can cure us but what to do when all these things we have so much faith in fail us. Some people get depressed and some get so frustrated with the situation that they become bitter with the world around.
Some wise ones like my friend Raj here understands the importance of psychological and spiritual answers and so he mentioned that he read self help books not only for himself but also for his family. A person like this deserves all the help we can find. I hope my below mentioned points give you some relief and I request all the readers to share their own methods to overcome situations when one feels self help stuff does not help.
7 Things To Do When One Feels Positive Thinking Does Not Work:
1. Meditation: Start your day with meditation. First thing in the morning as soon as you get up sit in a quiet place close your eyes, clear your mind, breathe normally, and then slowly take deeper and longer breaths. Monitoring your breath is the easiest form of meditation. You can set a timer for 20 minutes or 30 minutes so that you don’t get distracted by checking time or the feeling of getting lost in the meditation. It will be easier to clear the mind right after sleep as it is refreshed but still if you feel any thoughts trying to seek in don’t struggle with it let it gently pass by and carry on with the meditation.
You will feel refreshed and recharged; you mind will become powerful everyday with meditation and that is a very good thing because our mind plays the biggest role in our healing. There are many methods of mediation, you can study some on the net, some audio tapes comes with guided meditations or through books. Give most of them a try and stick with the one you find most relaxing and refreshing.
You can also learn meditation from spiritual teachers like Brahma Kumaries, Buddhist Monks, teachers and many more just be sure you are following a genuine teacher and not some imposter.
2. Energy Flow: Any kind of pain or suffering is caused because of negative energy blockage. Well this may seem farfetched but just think about it. Everything in this universe including us is made of energy and there is a constant flow of energy in everything. As per ancient Chinese wisdom this energy is called as “Chi” and if you have a smooth flow of positive energy (the good Chi) through your body you have a completely healthy body. If there is any blockage then this turns into pain. That’s why Acupuncture works great for pain. If you have not given this a try I suggest you find a good Acupuncture Therapist who can find the right solution.
Similar principle is applied in Feng Shui. The house we live in is considered as an extension to our physical body, that’s why Ancient Eastern Cultures followed sciences like Vastu Shastra and Feng Shui. You can either get an expert to check your house for the positive energy flow or self study Feng Shui by reading books to remove the blockage of energy in your house. People find miraculous results by doing small changes so do give this a try.
3. Negativity Filters: If you are not in the situation or position you want to be then there is some kind of negativity around you. Even if your thoughts are positive you can still get affected by negativity form another person close to you. Is there a complainer in your family? Is someone always talking and behaving in upsetting manner? Does someone gossip a lot about other people’s misfortune? Any such thing can bring down your positive energy and fill your mind with negativity that you do not need.
Stay away from negative people, who always complain, fight, cry, or gossip; who has nothing good to talk about. If you cannot stay away try to change topics around this person or make that person aware of his/her negative mental condition in the most loving way. Do not blame or fight with this person as this will not make you any different. If you cannot do that then just send positive energy to this person in your mind and try not to get affected by this person’s talk or behavior.
The reason to meditate in the morning is also very beneficial as we become stronger to handle such negativity and also never read or watch news in the morning as it will fill your day with negativity.
4. Acceptance: We do not like to accept our suffering. The first rule to change is to accept your condition as it is. Do not feel good or bad about it. Just accept that I have this problem and then let it go. Remove it from your mind and think about you as a person who is happy and healthy in all aspects of life. By accepting you acknowledge the problem and by letting go you give a command to your subconscious mind that it does not have to hold onto this particular problem. It gives a clear command that we are ready to move ahead of this hurdle.
5. Positive Attitude: Positive attitude is not just thinking that everything is great around us. Positive attitude is accepting all our hurdles and believing that as per the Divine Plan there must be a reason I have this hurdle in my life. This condition is in my life for a reason to give me a life’s lesson that I desperately need to learn and this is an opportunity in disguise. Once we overcome the hurdle we become stronger and wiser than before.
6. Gratitude: It is difficult to feel thankful when we are in pain but there can be so many things that we can be grateful for no matter what situation. We can be grateful for our body to stand strong through all the suffering and pain it has to go through daily. We can be thankful for the people who love us and want to help us in our difficult times. We want to be grateful for every new day when we get up as each day is a gift to us from the creator. Be grateful for what you love having and take away all your focus from what you don’t.
7. Visualization: Visualize yourself as healthy and happy. While meditating or any other time instead of focusing on the problem we should visualize a happy and fulfilled life as this creates a blueprint for our subconscious mind. When we think, dream, talk and visualize about health we get healthy. I highly recommend reading books from Shakti Gawain or Wayne Dyer to study this concept in detail.
“The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind” — Caroline Myss
Few posts from this blog that can put some more light on the subject are listed below.
– Appreciation – 5 easy methods to tame your mind.