Yesterday I got the privilege to watch an interview of Marianne Williamson – a bestselling author.
She mentioned a small prayer just three lines in the interview and it captured my attention.
• Where would you have me go?
• What would you have me do?
• What would you have me say and to whom?
I find this prayer a perfect way to communicate with the creator you can call him God or Universe or the Holy Spirit or anything you believe in. I immediately noted it and now it is the prayer I love saying morning and night. This prayer also got me thinking of the mistakes most of us do while praying.
Mistakes while praying:
1. Not Appreciating: This is the worst mistake one does while praying. We receive many blessing in our life but we take it as our birth right without ever saying a word of appreciation. We just keep asking for more. How would you react to a child who constantly asks for more and more toys or sweets and never show any appreciation about it? I always hear parents forcing their kids to say thank you to friends and family for any gifts. But do we say thank you enough; I don’t think so. Just add a genuine appreciation for anything you are grateful for to your prayer. It doesn’t even have to be a recent blessing. Be Grateful as Gratitude is the key to happiness.
2. No Faith: I heard this in one of the seminars by Jack Canfield where he mentions about how we lack faith. “When we place an order to Domino’s Pizza we do not call them after every 5 to 10 minutes to check if they will surely do the delivery. Then why cannot we show some faith in our creator.” It must get annoying for the almighty to hear the same thing again and again. Plus our doubts always act as hurdles for our blessings that are trying to reach us.
3. Begging: This may sound harsh but if you hear what we say to God in our prayers it sounds as if we are begging. “Dear God Please do this, please give me that, blah blah blah”. We forget that God is our creator who wants to see us thrive but nothing is going to be served to us on a silver platter. God helps those who help themselves but we have to initiate. Instead offer our service to fulfill the divine order. Everything is a part of the divine order by fulfilling our role we achieve everything we are meant to achieve in the easiest and fastest way. This is preciously what is mentioned in the prayer above. Ask the creator how we can fulfill our role and God will guide us to reach our highest level. If we want to see the creator we can look at nature. It is all about abundance, no lack, no limitation. A seed knows it’s role and it develop into a huge tree similarly there is abundance in all aspects for us if we let creator take charge and guide us to fulfill our destiny or role in this divine order. We are meant to be abundant, happy, and peaceful. The lack is what we create by our own limiting believes mainly about scarcity, adjustment and sacrifices.
“Whatever happened, happened for the good; whatever is happening, is happening for the good; whatever will happen, will also happen for the good only. You need not have any regrets for the past. You need not worry for the future. The present is happening.” – The Bhagavad Gita
Marianne Williamson books <a href=”(Get Here) are a must read if you want to understand the importance of Love and Spirituality (which means the same for me) in our life.